Monday, February 21, 2011

Midterm Artist Statement

Midterm Diptych Artist Statement
My Big Idea is purpose, sound, identity. When first observing these two spectacular pieces of art your mind may be lost in the amazement of them and don’t worry, that’s all right. But if you look closely my Big Ideas will suddenly pop out at you and grab your attention. You can see the purpose of signs peaking interests and leading to consequences of not obeying. You can witness the power off sound, or no sound. Observe how certain objects identify places and people. Money and time are two huge factors now days so don’t waste a second because time is money. The Big Idea is the foundation of this great country we live in, everything serves a purpose, sound keeps us in unison, and identity makes us whom we are.
Research tactics for this project came from
all the searching techniques that I’ve learned in class from using Flickr.com and Google images, and using specific search engines to find various image sizes.
The Big Idea that I choose is important to me because this is how I see life. I like to think others think like me, maybe not all the time, but I like to think for the most part people see things like me.
It was fun working with all the photoshop tools to make a creation like this.

3 comments:

  1. I like the first image with the ying and the yang, and the image inside of it, also in the second image the clock was was its warped and has the money put into it. I would just work more on how images are placed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so first of all, after I finished staring at your midterm lost in amazement. I noticed you have a lot of good stuff going on in both pieces. I can see creative ideas starting to take shape, I just think maybe they could have been built on a little bit more. The yin and yang idea in the first picture is really fantastic! One thing I can suggest is that you maybe could rearrange the layout of the images on top, like the squirrel and the sign, etc. After you explained it to us, it made sense why those images were there and how they tied together. I guess, it would have been interesting to see you connect those images more through photoshop to get those points across without verbalizing it as much. I also really like how you put the image of the person "shhing" someone in the top part of the yin-yang symbol. That was very interesting!
    I think the second part of your midterm project is really awesome! Seriously, the way you put the time&money concept together is great. You used the liquefy tool in such a cool way. If you had maybe pushed that idea more and focused on that more than the other parts I think it would make a really strong statement. But, it's not a bad thing you have other stuff going on! It's just kind of like the first picture, if you hadn't been there to explain it it would have taken me a while to get to the conclusion that is all revolved around purpose. Ultimately, my suggestion for both works would be to think about how arrangement of images strengthens the work altogether. I still think you have great ideas started in both images though. And that clock is so awesome! And I think your artist statement helped me interpret both pieces better, and it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jonathan about the idea of the ying and yang. The woman holding her finger up to her lips combined with the volume meter create a good contrast.I also like the idea of the united states in the second image and its patriotism.

    The suggestions i have are to perhaps work on the composition of the first work a little bit more so that everything flows a bit more seamlessly. The next thing i would say is to perhaps make your Big Idea a bit more clear in your actual project. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete