Sunday, March 13, 2011

Final Project

My Big Idea is change. To demonstrate this idea i decided to show how the image of the hip hop culture has changed from old school to new school. Let me reemphasize that I used my own pictures for this because that was the influence I was under for this project.



For the Old School picture I brought Eazy E back into the formula because what is old school without the man himself? For the background I have graffiti art to show some rebellious behavior and a major trend that was going on while people related it to hip hop, the graffiti was found on Cleveland Ave. Another thing that is related to old school hip hop is of course, basketball. Not trying to be stereotypical or racist and show a picture of a black man playing basketball so I portrayed my friend Derek as a basketball player and those hoops were from an elementary school that our coach has us preform community service at. In the top right corner you can see a picture of my family friend "Uncle Dave" with his records, that is how it was done in the good ol days when it came to DJing.



In order to show new school hip hop I had to introduce a new face into the game, that new face is me. The only thing all these artist now-a-days seem to talk about is how they are on a "paper chase" so to bring that into my project I set it as my background. Uncle Dave would have some mixed feelings if I were to show him how technology lets you be your own DJ with no hasle of carrying your records with you as long as you have an Ipad (my ubcle is still alive, no worries). The popular dance that is associated with hip hop is break dancing. I snatched a picture of Josh while he was attempting to break dance pretty well. To play the music, its all about who has the LOUDEST sound system, that some how determines who is cooler or something. So all I did was take a picture of Josh's sound system, not going to lie it is pretty cool to be driving around with all that rattle in the trunk.


These pictures are a perfect example of how change happens. The change from Old School hip hop to New School hip hop is obvious from all the aspects of whats important, whats on the artists mind and mostly, the sounds of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment